Understanding Bessel array radiation patterns?

So using the 5x derivative as it’s the only one Keele thinks has a practical purpose……the two outermost drivers are the main energy drivers of the system with each unit representing one 1/4 wave spacing…….would that suggest that the overall dispersion pattern would be equal to that of the diameter of the same size cone?……let’s say the 5 combined distance is 8”…….are we now talking about the same dispersion characteristics of an 8” cone or point source?………

If you have enough dispersion info on the smaller driver you plan to use, it's easy to check what happens within Vituixcad.
You can even generate a raw version of that dispersion based on driver size information with Vituixcad if you don't have it available.

Here's a 5 driver Bessel using the TC9 driver (vertical array, at 5m distance):

5x TC9 FR Bessel Six-pack.png

5x TC9 FR Bessel XO-schema-1.png

Attachments

• 5x TC9 FR Bessel Six-pack.png
    5x TC9 FR Bessel Six-pack.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I’ll have to download Vituixcad and get familiar with it. I ordered 5 of the 16ohm Faital 3FE drivers last night for the horizontal center channel speaker design. Your polars of the Bessel confirmed my suspicions that this will produce excellent intelligibility out past 30 degrees of center and should lock the sound to the screen as well. I don’t think there’s any other way to accomplish the design tasks with such a limited footprint and placement than this.

I ‘could’ use smaller drivers with even better off axis response, but all of those flounder in the 80db efficiency range so not really a mission for a typical AVR where the amp would be choking and power compression of the drivers would make for a mess. If the proof of concept is supported, I’ll build another with the Tectonic 3” BMR for comparison. I chose the Faital for the initial attempt for the impedance load……the Tecton driver is 4ohm only so I’d be giving up efficiency again when forced to use the series wiring implementation.

Reactions: 1 user